Travel and Destinations

Having recently entered a poetry competition with the theme “travel”, it has set me thinking of travel and destinations. I think we all like to travel, or at least, to travel to somewhere different and exciting. And travel itself can feel different depending on the destination.
I always find travel relaxing with an intended destination that has a pleasure element. So, holidays driving down to Cornwall from Somerset with my partner I consider to be a pleasurable experience. I can saunter down, completely in control of my own time and route. We can deviate off the beaten track and explore areas hitherto unknown, safe in the knowledge that we have no immediate time-frames to get anywhere. I also find that controlling the travel (myself driving) gives me all the control I need and helps me to relax. The opposite can’t be said for travel to work however!
I am fortunate enough not to have to endure a daily commute to work, partly as I am able to do a large part of my job from home (and long may that continue). When I do travel for work it tends to be to different locations so at least I can eliminate the boredom of travel as there is always something new to look at or locations to plan for using various routes. There is one area of travel for business that is the same, give or take, and that is when I have to travel into London.
I based my poem on this particular journey, especially as using the train gives so much scope for interesting observations. I drive from my home in sunny Clevedon to Slough, then train it in to Paddington before splintering off via tube depending on where I need to go. It is a long and tedious journey. The drive is over two hours and then I have an hour train (unless I am fortunate to catch the express that goes straight though to Paddington) before my final tube and walk.
I can’t say that I enjoy the journey into London at all. I am not in control of the travel when I step on the train and you also can’t control who else gets on with you! Cattle comes to mind! It is nearly always stuffy, humid and hot. I sweat from places I didn’t know I had places on a train! It is the same with the tube. And there is no relaxing sauntering when you have to get to your destination for a set time. The journey back is different however.
Instead of taking the tube back I prefer to saunter through London, usually the length of Oxford street, Hyde Park area before cutting up to Paddington Station. There is no rush as I will always hit rush hour so sometimes it is best to slow the pace down. I do actually like the hustle and bustle of Oxford Street and I am always reminded of the David Bowie song, London Boys when I am walking around as he mentions some of the streets (Soho, Wardour Street etc) and always feel a little sad inside knowing the great man has now passed. Music that shaped me growing up, and continues to do so.
But however much I like or dislike the travel and destinations, the one place I always love to visit is my home. And knowing I am always set to return to my little North Somerset town, fills me with happiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cornish Xmas Vista